Frequently Asked Questions


  • Are the results mandatory?

    Yes, performance on the Mathematics Advisory Exam (MAE) will be used to place students into the appropriate UCR entry level Mathematics course. If students attempt to enroll in classes at a higher level than the one indicated by their placement, their registration will be blocked. Students’ Academic Advisors may suggest enrolling in a lower level course to gain stronger skills and understanding before enrolling in the course in which they placed

  • Can I pick up my results in person?

    Students may visit an academic advisor in their college or department in person to receive their placement information. In addition, students may request their placement information at the Academic Resource Center with picture ID.

  • Can I retake the MAE?

    Students will be given 1 unproctored attempt for practice and 2 proctored attempts on the MAE. Only proctored attempt scores will be used for placement. The highest of the 2 proctored scores will be used to place the student into a math class at UCR.

    The Mathematics Advisory Exam (MAE) uses ALEKS PPL which is an adaptive testing system.
    Students will have up to 3 attempts in ALEKS PPL.
    * Attempt 1 - Unproctored. Used as an initial assessment to gauge where the students knowledge is at that time. Students should think of this as a practice attempt.
    * Attempt 2 - Proctored. First proctored attempt for placement. If the student is happy with this placement, the second proctored attempt is not required.
    * Attempt 3 - Proctored. An optional attempt for students to try to improve their score.

    IMPORTANT: All students that are placed into ARC 35 on the first attempt are strongly encouraged to take the second attempt in order to improve the score.

    Also, exam scores expire after one year so a student with a placement other than ARC 35 must retake the exam to update their placement.

  • Can I take the MAE during my online Highlander Orientation session?

    Students are urged to complete the MAE before the your Highlander Orientation session begins in order to be prepared to enroll in a math class if needed.

    Since the MAE is online, this should not be an issue for most.

    Your time during Highlander Orientation is highly structured and you will be busy. So taking it during your session is not possible.

    IMPORTANT: If you need to enroll into a UCR Mathematics course, you need to take the MAE or have an exemption (see the FAQ entry about exemptions). Many disciplines including Chemistry and Biology, require Mathematics before enrolling into entry level courses in these fields. Therefore, students who have not taken the MAE before they start an orientation session may be severely limited in their registration for Fall classes during Highlander Orientation sessions.

  • Can I use a calculator on the MAE?

    No. There are no electronic devices of any kind allowed on the MAE including, but not limited to, calculators, cell phones, mp3 players, etc.

  • Do I have to take the MAE?

    All students who plan to enter a major that requires at least one course in Mathematics should take the Mathematics Advisory Exam (MAE) for appropriate placement. Undeclared students should consider if a major that they are considering requires at least one course in Mathematics.

    All majors in the Bourns College of Engineering (BCoE) require at least one course in Mathematics and students must take the Mathematics Advisory Exam (MAE) for appropriate placement.

    All majors in the College of Natural and Agricultural Sciences (CNAS) require at least one course in Mathematics and students must take the Mathematics Advisory Exam (MAE) for appropriate placement.

    The following majors/programs in the College of Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences (CHASS) require at least one course in Mathematics and students in these majors must take the Mathematics Advisory Exam (MAE):

    * Pre-Business
    * Business Administration
    * Psychology
    * Neuroscience
    * Liberal Studies
    * Economics
    * Economics with Administrative Studies
    * Economics with Law and Society
    * Business Economics
    * Political Science with Administrative Studies
    * Sociology with Administrative Studies
    * History with Administrative Studies
    * Art History with Administrative Studies
    * Psychology with Law and Society

    Students in CHASS majors other than those listed above may opt to fulfill their breath (general education) requirement by enrolling in either a computer science or statistics course that does not require taking the Mathematics Advisory Exam (MAE). Undeclared CHASS students should take the MAE based on the mathematics requirements in the majors they are interested in pursuing. If you're still not sure, please contact your major department to verify if you need to take the exam.

  • Do I need the MAE if I'm taking the AP Calculus exam?

    AP results may not be available until late June or early July. The safest thing to do is take the MAE so that you have a math placement in hand when you come to orientation. If you end up getting AP Calculus credit, then the AP calculus score will override the MAE placement. (NOTE: AP Stat does not exempt you from taking the MAE)

  • How can I receive my results?

    Results will be shown to the student immediately after submitting the assessment.

    Also, Students that are entering UCR in the Fall can find MAE results via R'Web. Log into your R'Web account and select "Student Profile"-->"Prior Education and Testing" to see all your placement exam results.
    To find your math placement, look for "MAE: Placed into Math" and the number next to this entry will denote which class you placed into. For example, if "MAE: Placed into Math" says 09A, then the student placed into Math 9A.

    Since MAE results are part of a student's confidential academic record, by federal law, the Academic Resource Center cannot give out results by telephone, FAX, or to a person other than the student taking the exam.

  • How do I make an appointment to take the MAE?

    You can make an appointment with ProctorU to take the MAE proctored.

    You do not need to make an appointment when taking the MAE unproctored. Unproctored attempts are for practice and do not count toward your final placement.

  • How long after I take a final proctored attempt will I be able to register for a math class?

    Results will be shown to the student immediately after submitting the assessment. But it will take some time for us to process and upload results.

    We process and upload results once a week. Confirmation emails are sent out the morning after results have posted.
    Only exams that are completed by the cutoff time will be processed in that batch. Any attempts completed after the processing time will be processed the following week.

    Click on the "Register and Calendar" tab to see when the exam is available and when results are processed.

    DURING HIGHLANDER ORIENTATION: We process results twice a week. Confirmation emails are sent out the following mornings.
    Only exams that are completed by the processing deadline will be processed in that batch. Any attempts completed after the processing time will be processed with the next batch.

  • How long is the exam?

    The Mathematics Advisory Exam (MAE) uses ALEKS PPL as it's testing tool. ALEKS PPL is an adaptive exam so every exam is a little different in duration and number of questions asked. On average, the exam takes 60-90 minutes with a maximum of 25 questions.

  • Is there a fee for the MAE?

    Yes, there is a fee for the MAE. The Math Advisory Exams cost is $55 and is charged to any student that creates an account in ALEKS. This fee is paid to UCR and includes access to ALEKS PPL and 2 proctoring sessions with ProctorU. Do NOT pay any fees to ALEKS or ProctorU.

    IMPORTANT: This fee is not contingent on attending UCR. The fee will be billed to student accounts even if the student does not attend UCR.

    UCR students, Summer Session students and Summer Academy students will have the fee assessed on their student account if they have created an ALEKS account.

    Student that are taking classes via UCR Extension will need to pay for the MAE BEFORE registering in ALEKS PPL.

    ONE LAST IMPORTANT NOTE: We highly recommend that student schedule at least 72 hours (3 days) in advance with ProctorU. Any exams scheduled inside 72 hours from the desired appointment will incur a Premium Scheduling Fee (PSF) from ProctorU. This PSF is not apart of the fee that UCR charges and students must pay it directly to ProctorU at the time of scheduling. This PSF is very much avoidable by planning ahead and scheduling early.

  • What can exempt me from the exam?

    If a student's major requires them to take a math class at UCR, then the student is required to take the MAE unless the student has one of the exemptions below.

    Any one of the following conditions will exempt a student from having to take the MAE:

    • Receiving a score of 2 on the AB Advanced Placement Calculus Exam ( or on the AB subscore of the BC AP Calculus Exam) will allow a student to enroll into Math 4 or Math 5. Students that score a 2 on the AP exam are still encouraged to take the MAE to see if they can qualify to take Math 9A/7A (calculus). No course credit is given for the score of 2.

    • Receiving a score of 3, 4 or 5 on either the AB or BC Advanced Placement Calculus Exam. If a student takes the AB version and scored a 3 or higher, course credit for either Math 9A or 7A is given. If a student takes the BC version and scored a 3 or higher, then credit for Math 9A & 9B or Math 7A & 7B is given. Credit for Math 9 or Math 7 is determined by the students major.

    • Have transferable college credit at the Pre-Calculus (Math 5 at UCR) level or higher from an accredited institution of higher education

    • Passing score of 5 or higher on the International Baccalaureate Higher Level Math Exam.

    Important Notes:
    Just taking an AP Calculus class or IB Math in high school does not earn an exemption. In order to be exempt from the MAE, a students needs to take the exam and earn a sufficiently high score.

    If an exemption isn't posted to the system prior to attending orientation, the student will not be able to register for a math class. In this case, the student should consider taking the MAE to have a placement. If the student's exemption ends up posting to the system, those will override the result of the MAE.

  • What do I need on the day of the exam?

    Please arrive on time! ProctorU gives you 15 minutes after your scheduled time to start check in.

    * Photo Identification. Students need to present photo identification at check-in, or they will not be allowed to take the exam.

    * Students will need to know their student ID numbers (86xxxxxxx).

    No calculating devices of any kind are permitted for the Mathematics Advisory Exam (MAE).

  • What forms of ID are acceptable?

    A photocopy or picture of the ID will NOT be accepted.

    Acceptable IDs include:

    * UCR ID Card
    * Driver's Licenses or other state photo identity cards issued by Department of Motor Vehicles
    (or equivalent)
    * High School issued ID card
    * U.S. passport
    * U.S. passport card
    * DHS "Trusted Traveler" cards (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)
    * U.S. Military ID (active duty or retired military and their dependents, and DOD civilians)
    * Permanent Resident Card
    * Border Crossing Card
    * DHS-designated enhanced driver's license
    * Native American Tribal Photo ID
    * HSPD-12 PIV Card
    * An airline or airport-issued ID (if issued under a TSA-approved security plan)
    * A foreign government-issued passport
    * Canadian provincial driver's license or Indian and Northern Affairs Canada (INAC) card
    * Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC)

  • What if I do not have a computer with a camera for the final, proctored exam?

    In order to use ProctorU, you will need a high-speed internet connection, a webcam (internal or external), a Windows or Apple operating system, and a government issued photo ID.

    If you don't have equipment to take the proctored exam, please contact us at and we'll assist you to come up with a solution.


  • What is the lowest placement I can receive?

    The lowest placement students can receive is titled Intermediate Algebra Workshops (IAW - ARC 35). These workshops were created to help prepare students for university-level work in mathematics. Once a student has completed ARC 035, the student will then be permitted to enroll in either Math 6A or Math 4, depending on their percentage in the workshop.

    If a student places into ARC 35 on their first proctored attempt, we strongly encourage the student to take a second proctored attempt in order to improve their placement. Statistically, of the students that place into ARC 35 on the first proctored attempt, about half place higher when taking a 2nd attempt.

  • What is the Mathematics Advisory Exam (MAE)?

    All majors in the Bourns College of Engineering (BCOE) and the College of Natural and Agricultural Sciences (CNAS), and many programs in the College of Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences (CHASS) require at least one course in Mathematics. The Mathematics Advisory Exam (MAE) is used to place first year students into an appropriate entry-level Mathematics course.

  • When should I take the MAE?

    For incoming freshmen, you should take the MAE prior to the deadline posted on the MAE website.

    For continuing students, the MAE is offered during each registration period and closes just before classes start each quarter. Please see the MAE Calendar for specific dates.

  • Will I be charged if I don't show up?

    If you do not notify ProctorU that you will not be taking the exam, then you might be charged for the proctoring of exam.

    Please do not miss your scheduled appointment. At minimum, cancel your appointment in advance.