Tutorial Assistance Program (TAP)
provides tutoring in a variety of subjects and disciplines. Tutoring is free to all UCR students. Our tutors offers broad-based study skills strategies and techniques to promote critical thinking. Students are seen on a walk-in and appointment basis. Most tutoring is offered in small groups and each session lasts about an hour. Click on Tutor Schedule for a day-to-day listing of subject tutors and availability. Call the ARC Front Desk at 951-827-3721 to make an appointment.
- Art History 27
- ARC 035
- Biology 5ABC, 102, 107A, 171, 178, 191
- Biochemistry 15, 100, 110ABC, 187
- Bioengineering 101, 125, 140A, 142, 159
- Business 10, 20, 101, 102, 105, 106, 108, 109, 132, 134, 136
- Cell Biology and Neuroscience 101, 106, 120, 124
- Chemistry 1, 1ABC, 5, 8ABC
- Computer Science 5, 6, 8, 10ABC, 11, 61, 111, 120AB, 135, 141, 150, 152, 172
- Economics 2, 3, 104A, 105AB, 143, 160
- Electrical Engineering 1A, 20
- Engineering 1I, 101I, 118
- French 1-4, 15AB
- German 1-4, 102, 103B, 104, 111
- History 17AB, 27, 44, 182
- History of Europe 118, 168I
- Italian 1 - 4, 20AB, 101ABC, 139, 158, 162
- Linguistics 20, 21, 111, 121, 141, 151
- Math 4, 5, 6AB, 7AB, 9ABC, 10AB, 31, 46, 120, 121, 126, 131, 132, 135A, 144, 145A, 146ABC, 149AB
- Mechanical Engineering 2, 9, 10, 18AB, 100A, 103, 110, 113, 114, 116A, 130, 133, 170A
- Philosophy 5
- Physics 2ABC, 40ABC
- Political Science 5W, 7, 10, 15, 17, 20, 136S, 137S, 141S, 143S, 148S, 151, 157S, 166, 184S
- Psychology 1, 2, 11, 49
- Public Policy 2
- Sociology 1, 3, 4, 112, 146, 161
- Statistics 40, 48, 100AB, 155
- Spanish 1 - 4, 109AB, 110, 180B
TAP Student Positions
Tutorial Assistance Program
The Academic Resource Center (ARC) seeks highly qualified, upper-division students to fill tutoring positions in the following disciplines/subjects:
Cell Biology & Neuroscience
What is the fee for tutoring?
Tutoring is free to all UCR students. There is no fee.
Who are the tutors?
Tutors are UCR students, mostly upper division undergraduates students. We follow strict guidelines for selecting tutors. Once hired, all tutors go through extensive pre-term training and continuous in-service to develop their professional skills.
How long is a tutorial session?
Our tutorials are approximately 50 minutes.
How do I sign up for tutoring?
Two Steps: First, check the Tutoring Schedule for a listing of when our subject tutors are on duty. Then call or visit the ARC to make an appointment. Feel free to drop in or walk in, but know that most of our tutors are booked at least a week in advance.
Can I meet one-on-one with a tutors?
Our tutoring is considered group study with up to four students per session. We encourage you to participate in group tutoring that offers you an opportunity to work with your classmates, compare lecture notes, and clarifying your understanding of course topics. In small-group settings, the tutor acts a facilitator.
What’s so special about group tutoring?
Group tutoring is beneficial because you learn the workings and benefits of a study group. Other advantages include the benefit of group discussion and the diversity of viewpoints, as well as clarification of lectures and assigned readings; hearing a variety of ideas articulated in different ways helps to develop your critical thinking skills.
How often should I visit with a tutor?
At least once a week, if not more. National data on academic support show that students who participate in tutoring on a regular basis earn higher grades when compared to students who don’t participate at all.
What happens if I miss my tutoring session?
Students are considered a "no-show" if not present at the beginning of their scheduled session time. Students who "no-show" will forfeit their time and may lose the ability to sign up for future tutoring sessions!
What happens if I lose my ability to make appointments?
Three (3) "no-shows" in a quarter will result in cancellation of all ARC appointments for the remainder of the quarter. This includes cancellation of appointments in less than 24-hours. Effected student can walk in to see if any tutors are available however, space is not guaranteed. Student will regain access to the appointment system when the new quarter begins.
Completed Employment Applications should be turned in to the ARC Front Desk (156 Skye) in front of UNLH 1000.
NOTE: Due to COVID-19 impact on campus operations, completed Tutoring employment applications should be emailed to Elena Perez, TAP Coordinator at email@example.com.